Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Car Switcharoo

Yesterday marked an important day: I got a new car. Kyle and I decided to switch cars, so it's not new per se, but it is to me. Kyle's new job is a little farther than his old one, and since they encourage workers to take a lunch break instead of working through like Kyle used to (we're not sure why), he's been coming home for lunch, meaning that he's been using a lot more gas lately. Kyle's car only takes premium gas (it's a bit snobby), so we decided that he should start driving my 2002 Honda Civic since it gets GREAT gas mileage. I grabbed my parking pass, sunglasses, and CDs and started life with my "new" 2002 Volkswagen Jetta.

This is a little sad for me, as my Honda was my first and only car. My grandma bought it for me when I was 17, and it holds lots of good memories. But the Jetta isn't without its memories as well. Driving around in it today, I was thinking about when Kyle and I first started dating and how we drove all around Houston in it. I say the first part of our relationship because once we were more serious, we started taking my car- I'm telling you, Hondas get reallyreally good gas mileage, and Houston is a big city. And maybe I'm crazy, but it has a "Kyle" smell.

And for those of you who aren't sentimentally inclined, the Jetta has a few more perks.
1) My Honda was a 2-door, and switching to a 4-door somehow makes me feel more distinguished and mature.

2) The gas cap is attached to the tank by a wire, ensuring that one can never lose it. This may not seem like much to the untrained eye, but shortly after I got my Honda, I lost the gas cap. I was getting gas and forgot to put the cap back on. I drove away and quickly realized this, and went back and got it, but someone must have run over it (or I could have run over it) and it wouldn't stay back on. My very wise mother told me I had to buy myself a new one because I would be less likely to forget than if she bought me one. This is just one example of how insightful my mom is because that $22 for a stupid gas cap has kept me aware at the pump the rest of my driving life.

3) The interior is black. I'm not sure why this is a perk, especially since it may make it hotter, but it looks "sleeker." My Honda's interior is beige, and it shows dirt and spots really easily.

We're having a hard time figuring out how to refer to our cars. I used to say "my car" for the Honda, and "your car" for the Jetta, and Kyle would do the same, but now that system just isn't efficient. "Do you mean your former car, or my former car?" "The Honda?" So we have resulted to using the generic terms of "Honda" and "Jetta." You may call it boring, but we call it smart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to clarify that my "smell" that Lindsay mentions above is referred to positively. Contrary to what some may try to tell you, I apparently have a very attractive natural musk.

shanna said...

You should name the cars so as to distinguish between them with some panache. We have dumpy and green machine, names which ooze creative flare :)

Kierstyn said...

I would like for you to elaborate on some of those memories from your Honda. :-) Especially if it's from the beginning of your relationship. hehe.

I used to hve a Honda. We called it the Hon-dddddda.... which is the noise it made when starting. And speaking of memories, Curtis and I had our first kiss in the Hon-dddddddda. :-) Good times.

Anonymous said...

I would like to point out that when Laura and first read the "krajca family" comment we each thought it said "our first kids in the Hon-dd..." and had to re-read it a few times to make sure it was age appropriate.