Wednesday, July 11, 2007

8 Random Things About My Husband

My sister tagged Kyle and I to list 8 random things about ourselves, but because Newcomers are crafty, we decided to write 8 random things about each other. So here we go; drum roll please:

  1. Kyle absolutely despises toothpaste. He says that it makes him nauseous, but I remind him that it's psychological. Try as I may, I cannot convince Kyle that meticulous dental care is necessary, even if I buy the "good" toothpaste. Don't get me wrong- he does brush his teeth, but let's just say that he's a little wary of going to the dentist. (He hasn't been in about 3 years).
  2. Kyle is rather musical. Everyone knows that he is a connoisseur of music selection, but he can also play the piano, guitar, trumpet, and the trombone. From the ages of 12 to 18, Kyle's mom traumatized him and his siblings when she had him lead worship with his brother and sister, with Kyle as the lead trumpet player. Kyle also has a nice singing voice, even though he would never admit it.
  3. Anyone who has ever met Kyle knows that he LOVES dogs, but what most people don't know is that Kyle once had a cat. (I only found this out last week!) The Newcomer family adopted a stray cat that they named Jasper, but it ran away after only a week or so. It probably sensed that they were really dog people at heart.
  4. Kyle is very domestic. He loves to cook, and I would say he cooks at least half of our meals every week (It's not a set rule or anything; it just usually ends up that way). He likes to create his own version of recipes, and they always turn out really good. He concentrates really hard when he makes something, and as a result, never burns anything and the dish always comes out looking pretty. He also does a good bit of cleaning around our apartment. He doesn't like cleaning near as much as cooking, but he does it because he knows it makes me veryvery happy.
  5. When Kyle was a baby, he had ingrown toenails. I think this may be the most random thing of all. Who knew that babies could get those?! His mom says that he got them from his shoes, so one of her tips to young moms is to let their babies go barefoot.
  6. During our engagement, Kyle was finishing his last year of seminary in Philly and he decided to get a job his last semester. He worked at a chimney sweep place called Chimney Cricket. Need I say more? He was a file clerk, and he actually only worked there a couple weeks because the hours turned out to be too tough with school. So he took a job as a security guard at a mansion, which could be a whole list of random bullet points in itself.
  7. I am happy to be able to say that my husband likes Gilmore Girls. He joyfully watches it on DVD with me, and he used to watch the current episodes even when we were apart during our engagement. (We were one of those cutesy couples that discussed it over the phone). Not only does he like the show, but I've heard him defend it to a group of guys. =)
  8. My favorite story about Kyle (ok, so it's not "random" but it's great, trust me) happened when he was in Kindergarten. He went to a small Christian school in Northwest Houston where his mom also taught. One winter morning his mom made him wear his hand-me-down jacket to school. Kyle hated this jacket and fought and fought with Karen about it, but she of course won. Kyle started the school day pouting and angry. Somehow he was left alone for a minute in the classroom (big mistake). Kyle, still in a fit of anger and frustration, decided to pull the fire alarm just for kicks. The alarm went off and the whole school exited the building. Hmmm, maybe that's why the Newcomers started homeschooling...

7 comments:

lnewcomer said...

It would be a stretch to say that we "had" a cat. Jasper was more of a brief acquaintance.

I'd never heard the story about Kyle and the coat, or if I had, I'd forgotten it, but it definitely sounds like him. I wonder if it was that brown one with the orange stripes on the sleeves and ratty fake fur lining.

Luke said...

Kyle and I will defend Gilmore Girls to the death (okay, maybe that's taking it too far, but it's a good show) and that is what I love about him (along with his attention to detail while cooking).

Laura said...

Awesome 8 things! I am so proud! Charlton also used to watch and defend Gilmore Girls until the last season when we got frustrated with it. We have great husbands. Glad that you have reinstated your blog.

Kierstyn said...

Welcome back to the blogging world. And what a great post! I especially love the last one about the fire alarm. Well, maybe it's a tie between that one and the one about the toe nails.

tigerlilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tigerlilly said...

those are some things i really didn't know about kyle lol, this is hannah hewton btw =)

Annie said...

Haha. I like your theory for the Newcomers starting to homeschool. =) I miss you friend!